Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:06:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <netchild@wurzelausix.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blade Encoder speed

On 20 Jul, James C. Durham wrote:

> I'm loathe to have to boot M$ to encode. However,
> I have hundreds of hours of old audio tape I'd like
> to encode before it falls apart, but at that speed,
> it becomes a grueling task 8-) .

If you only want to archive them (instead of stream them over the net),
what about an encoder with VBR (e.g. Lame, http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/)?
Here (PII-266) it encodes at about 0.6 times of play-speed. You should
also have a look at the homepage and read a little bit about the
quality.

Bye,
Alexander.

--