Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:39:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   system crash

Hi,
	My 2.2.8-Stable (January) system has crashed 3 times in the last
week or so. And this morning, I came in and wrote down the panic message
(my machine won't automatically reboot - and this list has tried).

Anyway, here's the panic message:

fault virtual address = 0x1b1e24
fault code = superviosr read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0x1b1e24
stack pointer = 0x10:0xefbffdfc
frame pointer = 0x10:0xefbffe08
code segment  = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
	      = DPL 0, pres 1, def 321, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 8060 (taper-2.4.0)
interrupt mask =
panic: page fault

So it crashed during the Amanda taper. I've been running
2.4.0 w/out problem for months (since it came out). So I'm
thinking hardware.

	It's an HP 4gig DAT drive on an Adaptec 2940UW. There
are 3 disks (2 fast/wide 9gig barracuda's - one is the system,
one is an online backup, 1 narrow 4 gig barracuda that amanda
uses for hold space) and a 10x CD-Rom on the chain. Properly,
terminated (I was having problems a few months ago, and *KNOW*
that I have it right, with good cables, now.

	The machine is a Compaq DeskPro 2000 with 64 meg memory
and 2 gig of swap (had to use 2 - 9 gig disks some how! :-)

	There were no syslog messages on the console.

Paul.

--
"Yeah, I hit her, but I didn't hit her more than the average guy
 beats his wife."

--Ike Turner, explaining his persistent abuse of his former wife,
  singer, Tina Turner, 1985.