Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:13:31 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux directory hier

Hello, FreeBSD-emulation list!

I'm quite new to the list and far away of a linux-guru. But it so
happend that I worked on acroread7 errors at pointyhat and the result
was http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=85625. I need some
further investigation and your help.

The case with acroread7 was really in incorrect plist file at
emulation/linux_base-8 port. Plist is dynamic and doesn't use @unexec
command when uninstallig. Hehce we have errors at non-empty
directories (ie /compat/linux/share/locale) where third party
programms write files.

The task is to create a static plist for emulation/linux_base-8
port. Now I should decide which directories are used only by
linux_base port and which may be used by other programms. Seems to me
that only root (/compat/linux) structure should be taken into
consideration (without subdirectories) or some minor amount of
subdirectories.

I have to approaches:

1. Assume that all directories might be written (or it is far faster
   to implement and support). Actually it is already done at the above
   PR.
2. Cut directory names into two lists. If so then what is your
   suggestions?

What road am I take? Which is preferrable for us?

The first one seems better to me. Since I used at PR a recommended
at Handbook redirection and redirect only stderr to /dev/null this
approach looks like a good compromise.

Thank you,
WBR
--