Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:00:40 -0700
From:      "Kevin Downey" <redchin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISO Image Size Increasing

On 4/3/07, jhall@vandaliamo.net <jhall@vandaliamo.net> wrote:
> I have run into a rather weird problem, that I am not sure how to correct.
>
> I have created a bootable CD for my FreeBSD systems which is approximately
> 234 MB in size.  While deploying the image, I found an error I would like
> to correct.  All I am doing is adding a symlink to a folder in the /home
> directory.
>
> Please let me know if you see anything flawed in my procedure which may be
> causing this problem.
>
> 1.  Create a directory to work in /home/CDImage.
>
> 2.   Copy the existing image to the /home/CDImage directory.
>     tar -cpf - /cdrom | tar -xpf -
>
> 3.  Add the necessary symlink.
>
> 4.  Create the ISO image.
>     /usr/local/bin/mkisofs -allow-leading-dots -l -R -T -iso-level 4 -b
> boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -o fwcd.iso CDImage
>

> The image copied from the CD is approximately 234 MB in size, and the
> image created by mkisofs is 664 MB.

> Thanks,
>

> Jay
It sounds like you may be running into a hardlink issue with iso9660.
I saw a few mails about this on one of the mailing lists last month.
Basicly hardlinks were not being copied off the cd as hardlinks, but
as files. So instead of /bin/foo being a hardlink to /bin/bar you get
/bin/foo and /bin/bar as seperate identical files. I would check the
size of the /home/CDImage directory after copying the cd files to it.
I am not sure if there is a fix.

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.