Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:49:25 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@ls.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS file unlocking problem

Steve Sizemore wrote:
> I don't see now it could be "inter-program", since I've gone to great
> lengths to simplify it to a single program failing on a brand new file.

Is the file ever open by a program on the NFS server itself?

If so, this can cause the behaviour you are seeing (if you are
interested in the technical reasons, there's a different posting).

> Oh, so that's what that meant. :-) But (see above) it's pretty clear
> to me that nothing else could have it locked.

Then you aren't getting the error.  8-) 8-) 8-).

> > Once you know that, you can go hit them over the head with a
> > large baseball bat.  8-).
>
> Yes. But that somebody is undoubtedly not a real person.

kill -9 them, then.

> > But I think it may be as simple as you not telling us that you
> > have multiple IP addresses configured on one of your machines?
>
> No, but this might be an important clue. The FreeBSD host has multiple
> (2) A Records in the DNS. In fact, I think that when it last worked,
> it had only a single A Record.

Well, try undoing that change.  I don't think that's it, though,
but it gives you a lever to pull.

> Also, I notice that there are two
> rpc.lockd processes running on the FreeBSD server. I hadn't noticed
> that before it started failing, but I didn't mention it, since
> rpc.lockd does get invoked twice in rc.network. However, rpc.statd
> also gets called twice, and there's only a single version of it
> running...

Not the problem, I think.

> > If so, try:
> >
> >       sysctl -w net.inet.ip.check_interface=0
>
> What does this do, just turn off checking? Can I do this on the
> running system, or do I need to put it into sysctl.conf and reboot?
> (BTW, from the man page -
>   "The -w option has been deprecated and is silently ignored.")

Use it on a running system.  Ignore the warning.

-- Terry