Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:24:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "saver"

On 21-Jul-97 "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

>> Thanks,
>>  Only rc.i386 is no longer in /etc, it's now been moved to
>> /etc/etc.i386/rc.i386.
>
>Say what?!  That's sure news to me! :-)

Well, this thread certainly does help to illustrate some of the confusion
that can result during an upgrade re: /etc.  :-)

OK, shoot me if this sounds terribly simplistic or heretical, but why not
have the install part of "make world" actually do just that -- install all
the files in /etc that are supposed to be installed to have a functioning
system?

It would be a simple matter to either rename the old /etc files to say,
*.old, or to install the new versions as *.new.  Or perhaps even create a
whole new directory, say, /etc.new.

At least in this way, there would be no doubt about what files need to be
examined for changes, as well as their correct place within the hierarchical
structure.

Can anyone think of why this would be a Bad Idea?

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/