Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:29:09 +0800 (WST)
From:      David Adam <zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
To:        Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
Cc:        noackjr@alumni.rice.edu
Subject:   Re: X.Org 6.8.2 - (most probably) final patch

Just weighing in on this...

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> This should also be better with gzipped vs bzipped tarballs. I don't have any
> preference here. I'd like to know what we should be more concerned about here
> - size of distfile or the speed of extraction. Please keep in mind though
> that some people pay internet access by used bandwidth (and it's not cheap in
> some cases). Here are both sizes for comparison:

In my (completely unqualified) opinion, size of distfile is a much higher
priority than the speed of extraction. Until recently, I was getting my
ports on 56k, and that extra 11MB would hit hard - I am sure there are
still many people in the world who are in a similar situation. If I use my
University's connection, it's 6c/MB for international traffic, so the
smaller the better. Again, there are bound to be users who are affected by
this.

The Subversion team looked at this when they were designing their system,
and decided that disk space/CPU time were a lot more expendable than
bandwidth, which is why SVN works well over dial-up.

17 minutes ~is~ a long time for extraction (particularly over several
ports) but I think it's a problem best solved by split distfiles, not by
lower compression.

Is there any way around it (turning off cleaning, unbzip2ing and
modification of the Makefile/distinfo)?

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au