Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 1995 04:04:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: backspace key doesn't work in X

On Sun, 9 Apr 1995, Mark Murray wrote:

> > 	Just wanted to report that the backspace key would just generate
> > ^H on the screen for all TCP/IP Clients and not work correctly under X...
> > Anyone know how to fix this?  I forgot to mention that it worked before
> > the backspace key changes to Syscons..
>
> This is why: (output from stty -a)
>

> speed 115200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
> lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
> 	-echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
> 	-extproc
> iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel ignbrk
> 	brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
> oflags: opost onlcr -oxtabs
> cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
> cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
> 	eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
> 	min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
> 	stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
>
> Notice the erase is set to ^? (DEL)? The job is not complete.

	yes, the strange thing is that erase is set to ^H for the login
window but everything else is on ^? but if I did stty erase ^H then it would
work but has anyone got backspace to work in ytalk or talk?  It just
shows ^H on the other side...

> --
> Mark Murray
> 46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
> +27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200

Cheers,
Vince -*vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu*-
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering