Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 97 14:59:31 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        wosch@campa.panke.de.cs.tu-berlin.de, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/2756: top causes segmentation fault

> As Wolfram Schneider wrote:
>
> > >  Recompile top.  top is very system-dependant, and since you're running
> > >  a SNAP, your first aid should be recompilation.
> > >
> > >  top should probably live in the base system, not in ports.  I've
> > >  already removed /usr/local/bin/top on my machines at work since
> > >  /usr/local is shared, but top is by no means sharable at all.
> >
> > Yes, we should import top(1) into the base system (src/contrib/top).
> > The top sources are only 120KB.
>
> Are there any contradictionary opinions?  Even Suns ship with top(1)
> by default, and given its deep internal knowledge of the kernel
> structures, the ports version is pretty useless for a machine that is
> tracking -current (or even one that is upgraded by the official
> releases when forgetting to always upgrade to the most recent version
> of top as well).

Suns do not...!  (At least, not as of SunOS 5.5.1)

It is on my list of things that get installed on _every_ system.  systat
is nice, but the pigs display gives very little useful information compared
to top (OTOH, systat can monitor lots of useful things, top can't).  I can't
actually think of any practical advantage of systat's pigs display  :-)

I think it would be a functional addition and would not object, although it
is bloat in the general sense.

... Joe