Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 12:40:05 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running i386 binaries on amd64

> IMHO, that's a very special case. Aside from these kinds of licensing

Not licensing.

> hurdles you mentioned as a special example, I still think that the
> security branch should be used. Only very slight changes go to
> RELENG_6_1 that don't cause functional changes. Using
> RELENG_6_1_0_RELEASE anyway is like buying a two-day bread instead of
> the fresh one. The security branch offers the same functionality and
> *quality* that the original release, so imho the other points you listed
> make no sense.
>
> I really don't want to flame about this, but I'm curious what others
> think about this topic, because I'm very convinced that the use of the
> release tag is strongly discouraged after the release. If a security
> hole is recognized why one might not want to patch it?

NO !  The original questioner has read what we're agreed
the tags will deliver.  He's informed, We're Done - Finished !

Expounding what tags all should use, would be arrogance in ignorance:
  Not all systems are trivial, some have Strict code control
  authorisation procedures: eg a warship system that embeds DOS,
  Win-XP & Linux - Shudder!, BSD systems that get used in other
  `interesting' places.  Firewall manufacturers integrating BSD.
  Less stringent applications like banking will also have managers
  who must sign off before _Any_ code change is allowed.

Which CVS tags you urge is Not amd64 specific, so to discuss it,
please on an all architectures list, eg chat@
--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com