Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:07:46 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Kettenis <kettenis@chello.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, bsd-api-discuss@wasabisystems.com
Subject:   Re: ptrace(2) and vector registers

Mark Kettenis wrote:
> NetBSD already has support for the SSE registers.  There is `struct
> xmmregs' in <machine/reg.h> and PT_GETXMMREGS & PT_SETXMMREGS
> reequests in <machine/ptrace.h>.  I have to say that I'm not terribly
> happy with `struct xmmregs', since it ends with an 's', where the
> other structs in <machine/ptrace.h> (`struct reg' and `struct fpreg')
> don't.  But the most inportant thing is that these names are tied to
> the x86.  Since both SSE and AltiVec are some sort of vector registers
> I'd like to propose `struct vreg' and PT_GETVREGS & PT_SETVREGS as
> alternatives.  NetBSD/powerpc already defines `struct vreg'.

What do the NetBSD people say about making this change in their
code, and getting rid of 'PT_GETXMMREGS' and 'PT_SETXMMREGS' in
their x86 code?

They may have good reasons for not doing this, which would also
be good reasons for FreeBSD, or they might say "Cool!  Let's switch!"
and do all the GDB work for you, for free.

-- Terry