Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 13:38:30 -0400
From:      "Quinn, Ralph" <quinnr@fdhc.state.fl.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disappearing kernel file

Dear sirs,

This last weekend our office experienced a power failure. On coming to work
in the morning two of our FreeBSD machines were down two others we up. On
the ones that were down the file '/kernel' was missing. Getting them back up
was no problem since there were /kernel.old files still available.
(Re-compiling the kernel was no problem. Everything is fine now.)
Have other people reported similar problems?
Are there any steps that I can take to reduce the likelihood of this sort of
event occurring in the future?
Any idea why a /kernel file should simply be gone?
For what it's worth, the two (Debian) Linux boxes we use came through
unscathed.

Ralph P. Quinn
Florida Medicaid Program
AHCA