Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 13:44:39 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Heavy HTTPD serving on 2.0-950412

<<On Sat, 6 May 1995 11:37:22 +0800 (CST), Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw> said:

>     Ah, my next two questions already answered.  ;-)  I ran an 11-hour
> test with NCSA httpd 1.4 last night with 4 local Ethernet clients and
> 60 remote clients.  No problems with NMBCLUSTERS set to 1024.  Doing a
> 'netstat -n | grep ^tcp' showed between 450 and 520 open connections,
> almost all in TIME_WAIT and nearly 16K in the send queue (not
> surprisingly, all to sites across the Pacific).

FreeBSD's Transaction TCP support should significantly reduce the
amount of time spent it TIME-WAIT states for FreeBSD clients talking
to FreeBSD servers, if the clients and servers do the right thing.

This is something that may substantially help `ftp' as well, but I'm
not sure whether it's legal.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.