Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:57:10 +0100
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security

Charlie Roots writes:

> 2.Is there a Hacker-Simulator team working day or night to try break
> the system security as the normal hacker would ?????

	Not that we know of, no.  But most everybody with some UNIX
	experience

	a) reads the advisories
	b) fixes any known caveats (i.e.: open() bug)
	c) fortifies / enhances the security of the said box (wrappers,
	   ssh, tripwire, ipfw, etc...)

	... which is what you do, whether the vendor is called HP, Sun,
	or FreeBSD.

> because if there is no such group, its high time the FreeBSD gather
> such a group, which should  be formed with ONE REASON IN MIND, BREAK
> FREEBSD SECURITY.

	Great!  Who finances them ?

	Jordan, can you find more of those 4-room offices with a couple
	more of those paid full-time release engineers that you seem
	to have lying about ? >8-)

> Especially many, current, and future ISPs are planning the Shift to
> FreeBSD, since it now supports SMP Monsters.

	ISPs have _long ago_ (though not in a galaxy far far away) started
	to move some of their activities to freely availably Unices like
 	like FreeBSD.  SMP is just a natural step which they'll (hopefully)
	just take like the rest of us -- security is usually their own business.

	Like David said, everybody keeps an eye on his piece of code,
	trying to avoid the bugs crawling in.  That's why you see
	advisories.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
  "Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead IN and