Date:      10 Dec 2001 10:58:36 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best service on earth!

Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr> writes:

> I've been told by some people that this is dishonest, but frankly, I
> don't think so.

Oh, it's dishonest.  The only question is whether you and Nils are
dishonest enough to deserve the censure of others, which largely
has to do with their own level of dishonesty.

But "honest" is not a very mushy word like "moral" and some others where
you get to draw your own threshold or use your own definition so that
nearly everyone considers themselves to be "moral".

Honest (snipped from my dict.) -- Not taking unfair advantage; truthful;
trustworthy; equitable; fair; having integrity; guileless; open.

Final snip -- "of good repute".  Nils and you have damaged your repute to
some extent.  Not that it matters much, since your readers are unlikely
to have business dealings with you anyway.

I think I'm just stating facts and not saying how badly or not-so-badly
I view these dishonest dealings.  Few people are guiltless and for many
mail order pricing errors, correcting the problem would cost the seller
more than the error, and costs the buyer at least his time, etc, etc,
so justifications are often easy to make.