Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:42:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>
To:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        Ivan Fetch <ivanfetch@technologist.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can ipfw log to somewhere else other than the console?

Hi,
[snip]

> >  I added the following to /etc/syslog.conf prior to writing my previous
> >  message, and restarted syslog:
> >  *.* root
>
> Umm...  Not quite right.  The entry would log to a file
> named root in the current directory.  Also, the file "root"
> must exist.

   This part workked (for other syslog messages) - I would receive syslog
output when ever I was logged in as root.  I got the concept from other
entries already present in /etc/syslog.conf from FreeBSD 3.4-release:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.9.2.1 1999/08/29 14:19:02 peter Exp $
#
[snip]
*.err						root
*.notice;news.err				root