Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:19:14 +0100
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        "T.J. Kniveton" <TJ@Kniveton.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPU speed wrong?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:40:13PM -0700, T.J. Kniveton wrote:
> In 4.2-RELEASE, my IBM Thinkpad T-20's CPU was correctly recognized as
> 700 MHz. Now with 4-STABLE, it's getting..
>
> CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (547.62-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
> % uname -v
> FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Jun 16 15:40:25 PDT 2001
> tj@eldorado.kniveton.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ELDORADO
>
> (I don't really understand why I am getting 5.0-C kernel source in the
> 4.3_RELENG branch.. But anyway that probably shouldn't matter. Does
> anyone know why the CPU would be recognized at a lower speed? Does it
> have to do with it being a laptop CPU?

If you dual boot with Windows then the cpu speed you get depends on what
Windows set it to last before it got shut down, I get 500MHz if I
shutdown windows when running from battery and 650MHz if I shut down
from AC power, I'd love it if FreeBSD supported choosing the frequency :)

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"