Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2017 06:27:15 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does chsh not support PAM?

--fRikBOwAkQH0hj8uA8JlmxWh3Se3ltQWE
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--3UheRrcsXvx3ldEjiLDcb90mnakfGBg8l

On 26/09/2017 01:30, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:
> At the day job, our systems are Kerberized.=C2=A0 People log in with a
> kerberized ssh client (which checks Kerberos internally, rather than vi=
> a PAM module), or use GSSAPI-enabled ssh.
>=20
> People get root via ksu.
>=20
> Everyone has a "*" as their password entry in /etc/master.passwd
>=20
> All this stuff is in -BASE.
>=20
> Here's my question: Why have we not PAM-ified chsh yet?=C2=A0 Such that=
> user can change their shell or GECOS information using only their
> kerberos password.
>=20
> How hard would this be to implement, rather than adding a hardcoded
> check against the password file in programs like chsh?
>=20

It is quite likely that we haven't PAM-ified chsh(1) or chpass(1) simply
because no-one has volunteered to do the work yet.

I suspect that the code required to do the job is not particularly
challenging, but as this is obviously a security sensitive area, it
should be carefully reviewed to ensure that you aren't giving away far
more than you intended to.

If you're interested in having a go at implementing something like this,
talk to Dag-Erling (des@FreeBSD.org) who is the author of the PAM system
in FreeBSD and a former Security Officer.  Then please do stick some
patches up on phabricator for review.

	Cheers,

	Matthew