Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2019 09:54:53 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eliminating IPv6 (?)

Hi!

<rfg@tristatelogic.com>:
> As I have already learned, the /etc/rc.firewall script also assumes =
both the
> presence of, and the desirability of IPv6 support.  And unless one =
edits that
> file manually... which I have been effectively forced to do... there =
is no way
> to get it to simply NOT create and install multiple IPv6-related ipfw =
rules,
> EVEN THOUGH in my particular situation... which is still the most =
common case...
> those extra and entirely superfluous IPv6 ipfw filtering rules are =
serving
> no earthly purpose whatsoever and are only cluttering up my ipfw rule =
set,
> thus pointlessly making it harder for me to grok and maintain them =
all.

Instead of messing with the system provided file you could
create a new one with only your own desired rules and then set
this rc.conf variable:

	firewall_script=3D"/etc/rc.firewall" # Which script to run to =
set up the firewall

As for the rest of your request, yes, I find it unreasonably in 2019 but
let=E2=80=99s not get into a fight about that. IPv6 is here to stay. If =
you boot any
Mac or Windows 10 desktop, IPv6 will be active and even necessary for
service autodiscovery and similar things to work.

Kind regards
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100
76133 Karlsruhe			info@punkt.de	http://punkt.de
AG Mannheim 108285		Gf: Juergen Egeling