Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:19:19 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6 button moused?

In the last episode (Apr 07), The Anarcat said:
> Ok, i've done a little research on my own.
>
> There is a maximum of 31 buttons set in sys/mouse.h:
>
> #define MOUSE_MAXBUTTON		31
>
> ..so that's probably not the issue. Thinking the problem might be more
> a matter of mapping between X and moused, I've run moused -d -f to see
> what was going on. A log is attached. It was recorded when pressing:
>
> 1- left mouse button
> 2- middle mouse button
> 3- right mouse button
> 4- "sixth" mouse button (the thumb button)
> 5- wheel up
> 6- wheel down

Why do you call it the "sixth" button?  What are buttons 4 and 5 (and
don't say wheel up/down, those aren't buttons :)

I think you might need to simply change your XF86config file to read

   Option      "YAxisMapping" "5 6"

since on a standard 3-button/wheel mouse it's "4 5".  I know
"ZAxisMApping" is what you had, but the manpage says YAxisMapping is
the one you need.  Docs for the mouse driver in X are unfortunately
obscured by the FreBSD mouse manpage, but you can get to them with

man -M /usr/X11R6/man mouse
 or
lynx /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/html/mouse.4.html

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com