Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:50:57 -0500
From:      Brian Black <BlackBsd@Mountain.Net>
To:        vanderlaars@online.ie
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dual Boot WinXP + FreeBSD

Hi Julio,

	i have installed freebsd along side NTFS systems for some time now and
they do work.  you need to make sure in /stand/sysinstall that u have
your partitions, slices etc set up correctly,(I mean set up the way
that u think is correct).  For Example, even though the XP slice that i
have is the 3rd slice on my box(FreeBsd 5-Current, then RH9 Then WinXp)
the device name for my xp slice still reads /dev/ad0s1.  Though this
dont seem right it works, i thought that it should read /dev/ad0s3.

So to try and answer your questions.

1. Can I have another dual boot on my machine with XP (NTFS) and FreeBSD?

yes u can, remember that u can mount the xp slice for "READ" not
"Write".  You can only read from the ntfs.  "man mount" for more
information.
(for people who wish to correct me, there are some way to write to the
ntfs, i know but as a general rule dont write to this file system type.)

2. Where can I read more about the process of instalation to keep my XP
partition alive?

u can read more in the handbook. if u do not tamper with your xp
partition durring /stand/systinstall then the partition will not be
bothered. (just remember what the device name is when you are using fips).

What boot loader are u planning on using?  i have tried
BOOTMAGIC,FREEBSDs boot loader and also i have used grub (which is
available in the ports).  With grub i was not able to boot fbsd when my
fbsd slice was formated with ufs2.  this might have been fixed though.

have fun.