Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:09:00 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, jdp@freebsd.org, wosch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Timetable for doc/ repository changes

Folks

[ Sent to -doc, John Polstra as the repository manager who'll be looking
  after this, and Wolfram Schneider, as this will affect the website ]

Hopefully everyone's now had plenty of time to look at the script I posted
a few weeks back which demonstrated exactly what changes are being made
to the CVS tree.  I've (I believe) calmed the fears of the Japanese
translation team that the installation directory of doc/ja/ will be
going away at any point in the near future, and we are hopefully in
sufficient agreement that we can now progress to the actual implementation.

In addition, I think (but would like confirmed) that John agrees that
sliding or renaming the release* tags in doc/ja/ is now not necessary,
because of how the tags are intended to be used.

Because of the nature of the change, there will be a window of time during
which the doc/ repository will fail to build successfully.  This is
unavoidable, as various changes will need to be made to the Makefiles
after the files have been moved for everything to work.

Obviously, if the repository fails to build it's much harder for people to
continue working on the documentation, and anything that depends on the
doc/ repository (for example, the web site builds) will also be affected.
So I want to try and minimise this window as much as possible.

For the specific case of the main web site, I'll update the "webbuild"
script so that it uses an archive of the docs, rather than the live doc
repository.  This will allow the main FreeBSD web site to continue to build
as normal, so there shouldn't be any problems there.  However, there may
be issues with mirrows of the FreeBSD web site, and I will be contacting
the site mirror maintainers shortly to alert them of the problem.

I estimate that fixing up doc/ after the repository copies have been
completed will take me most of an evening.  Generally, my free evenings
in any given week are

     Monday    -- Free all evening
     Tuesday   -- Not free
     Wednesday -- Free all evening
     Thursday  -- Free on all alternate Thursdays (next free is the 22nd)
     Friday    -- Generally not free
     Saturday  -- Generally not free
     Sunday    -- Normally free

Basically, this means any Monday, Wednesday, or Sunday evening are best
for this to happen (from my point of view).  John, how does this fit in
with your schedule?

Once we've decided a date for this to happen, I think the order of events
is as follows;

  Action                                               Responsible
  Check out a complete copy of doc/ somewhere            nik
  permanent on hub.

  Adjust "webbuild" to use this checked out copy,        nik
  instead of trying to check out a fresh copy each
  time.

  Edit the AVAIL file, so that only I can commit to      jdp
  doc/

  Carry out the repository copy.                         jdp

  Fixup the Makefiles, perform any "cvs rm" commands     nik
  necessary to get doc/ to build.  Commit these
  changes.

  Announce a tentative all-clear.  Get others to test    nik
  the changes (Japanese team?  Spanish team?)

  Reverse the change to AVAIL, so that others can now    nik
  commit back to doc/

Anything that I've missed?

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>