Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:37:57 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Alex Varju <varju@webct.com>, Jos Vissers <jos@tunix.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freezes in 4.4 RC on SMP kernel

At 09:45 AM 8/29/01 -0700, Alex Varju wrote:
>This may be the problem I am seeing on my machine, as well, although I
>haven't had time to fully diagnose the problems.  I thought that I had bad
>ram (my single processor did indeed have bad ram), but the freezing still
>continued after taking the new memory out of my dual.

By "freeze" you mean its totally locked up, no panic, needs a power cycle
to reboot ?  In your BIOS, do you have the "Halt on all errors" enabled or
disabled ?

>I'm using an Asus motherboard, dual P3-450, 256M ram.  4.3-release-p14 has
>no problems.  4.4-rc freezes occasionally.

4.4-RC #0: Wed Aug 22 11:43:04 EDT 2001  on a Intel 82443BX (440 BX), dual
PIII 800.  So far no problems since I upgraded the box.

>I run X right on the SMP machine.  There are multiple NFS mounts to other
>machines, as well as NFS exports that others use.  Several Windows
>machines use the SMP machine as an rsh server for checking out cvs
>sources.  Accounts are NIS based here, as well.

I have no nfs mounts. Its just a rather busy web server.

         ---Mike