Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:24:18 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Embedded system suggestions

I'm an embedded newbie and I don't know what to buy or where to look. Can you
guys help me out?

Basically I started a great big project to try and wire my house that I'm
building. Here's what I have to hook up:
	~120 digital inputs (SPST Wall switches, security contacts, etc...)
	~76 12V coil mechanical relays (for switching lights, etc...)

All of the relays are wired back to a central control closet. The switch wiring
is routed back to three separate places in the house (2 upstairs, 1 downstairs),
but I could route those back to the control room as well.

I was thinking about 3, 48 line digital input boards (don't know where to get
those) and maybe some digital output boards that can drive relays. Where do I
find this stuff? Does it even exist? What kind of processors do I use? What kind
of power supply do these systems need?

I found a 216 line DIO board at www.icsadvent.com but it can't drive inductive
loads (i.e.. the relays). If all else fails I'll use this board and just make a
separate board with diodes and resistors for the relays.

Thanks alot,
Brandon

--
bfoz@glue.umd.edu