Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:36:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        developers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rogue -stable commits

:I hate to whinge, but I thought that we weren't supposed to
:change -stable interfaces.  I upgraded storm.FreeBSD.org.uk
:yesterday, and didn't find out that it broke apache 'till this
:morning, giving
:
:Syntax error on line 240 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
:Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/libssl.so into server: /usr/local/libexec/apache/libssl.so: Undefined symbol "sk_X509_NAME_value"
:
:from ``apachectl startssl'' (I had apache+mod_ssl-1.3.14+2.7.1_1
:installed).
:
:An apache rebuild fixed the problem - I wonder if any other
:binaries are still broken....
:--
:Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
:      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>

    This happened to me to.  It wasn't a big deal to rebuild the port,
    except that a month ago the port installed as 'apache' and used
    'apache.conf', and a root in /usr/local/share/apache, and now it
    installs as 'httpd', using 'httpd.conf', and a root in /usr/local/www.

    Also if you let it install a new /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh script,
    the new script is totally broken... it does some sort of PREFIX
    calculation which just plain and simply fails.  Restoring the original
    script (which simply called apachectl) solved that problem.

    Very annoying.

    I'm not really complaining, though, because even with its quirks the
    port is a whole lot easier to work with then trying to build apache
    by hand.

					-Matt