Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:05:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        markl@agis.net (Mark E Larson)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: probe error?

According to Mark E Larson:

> When I got this error, it turned out to be the fact that no CD was in the
> drive.  If you put a CD in it goes away.  Whether or not you boot up with a
> CD doesn't matter, the driver works fine.
>

> At 11:07 AM 3/26/97 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >No feedback on my earlier posting, so maybe some hardware and kernel guru
> >can clue me in on this:
> >
> >dmesg reports the following:
> >
> >cd0(ahc0:3:0): CD-ROM can't get the size
> >
> >Do I need to remake /dev/cd0 or /dev/*cd* after having rebuilt the
> >2.2RELEASE kernel?  All the devices are there.

	Hm. This crossed my mind---that I might have to have a
	CD in the drive.  ...Another thing was that I was missing
	a line from /etc/rc; this is new to 2.2; the ldconfig line
	that searches out /usr/lib/compat.   I was put into a root
	SH when the boot stalled.

	Maybe things will work when I reboot.  But I will drop
	a CD into the drive.

	Thanks much.

	gary