Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 03:32:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Barnes <mbarnes@lcs-vger.mgh.harvard.edu>
To:        Darren Davis <DARREND@novell.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Applets not working under Netscape-3.0b2 (was Re: Yes!!!...)

> When Netscape comes up I get the Java logo on the banner screen,
> but no worky on the Java applets.  Any guesses?

I am also having the same problem with Netscape-3.0b2. I run 3 FreeBSD
machines, all slightly different, and all running different kernels:

1. 486-66, FreeBSD-2.0.5R, 16Meg Ram, XFree-86 3.1.1, S3 video card, 8-bit
	depth, 1M video ram.
2. 486-33, FreeBSD-2.2-960323-SNAP, 16Meg Ram, XFree-86 3.1.2D-beta,
	ET4000 video, 8-bit depth, 1M video ram.
3. 586-120 (TI-TravelMate 5200 laptop), FreeBSD-2.1R, 16Meg Ram, XFree-86
	3.1.2D-beta, 800x600 LCD, Cirrus CL-GD7543 Video. Linuxulator.
	2M video ram. 8 and 16 bit depth.

Machines 1 & 2 both exhibit the same behavior as Darren described: applets
appear to load, but nothing happens. I've tried this on a number of applets.
You actually don't even have to load an applet, just try to bring up the
java console-- it won't come up (although it does do a few seconds of
accessing the disk).

Machine 3 dumps core whenever one tries to load an applet or bring up the
java console. BTW, this machine runs the Linux Java-enhanced Netscape
just fine. 8 or 16 bit pixel depth makes no difference.

I installed Netscape-3.0b2 as in the README. I also went back and re-installed
using Jordan's 'netscape3' port. This did not change any of the behaviors.
Except for trying to run applets, all 3 machines run Netscape-3.0b2 fine.

All three machines will let me compile java source using the 'netscape -java
sun.tools.javac.Main [filename].java' method. However, trying to run the
applet viewer this way gets bus errors on all machines.

I still have no idea what the problem is, but hopefully this will help
shed some light for someone. Having the same problem on 2.0.5 and the
latest SNAP (in addition to being able to compile java source under Netscape)
makes the problem look more video than OS-version related, but who knows?

Mike Barnes

mbarnes@lcs-vger.mgh.harvard.edu