Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:57:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        lists@tar.com
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Threads patches available

Richard Seaman, Jr. writes:
>                                                       Earlier I offered
> to try to implement a "one-to-one" kernel threads library by extending
> the current pthreads code, but almost all the comments I received were
> that people wanted something other than one-to-one kernel threads.
> This was beyond my capabilities and interest.

Forgive me if I don't completely understand, but...

It seems that if the one-to-one implementation were layered the
right way, it would be easy to add a 'shim' layer (later on) that
converts it into a many-to-many version of the same thing.

In other words, can't you localize the operation 'give me a new
context' to a single place in the code, which to start with always
creates a kernel thread, but later can do some more intelligent
thread management?

Then we can start with 1:1 threads, and improve them later.

-Archie