Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:43:51 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?=C2ngelo=20Rodrigues?= <amr@fccn.pt>
To:        "Neeraj Arora" <Neeraj.Arora@ems.rmit.edu.au>, <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sincronize /etc/passwd and /etc/yp/passwd.master

Hi again,

My problem is simple. I'm trying to install a central login/password syst=
em=20
but I want to find a way to sincronize /etc/master.passwd and=20
/var/yp/master.passwd without having to force all local users to run two=20
commands, passwd and yppasswd.
It has been suggested me to make a simbolic link from  /var/yp/master.pas=
swd=20
to /etc/master.passwd. This is a possible solution but, this will force t=
he=20
server's root user to be the client's root user so, I won't be able to ac=
cess=20
to any client when the network is down.
I think any client should have at least one local user to avoid this crit=
ical=20
situation.
Do you have any ideia about this?

Regards,

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 11:37, Neeraj Arora wrote:
> Hmm...needed to search the trash for your original post before replying=
 is
> it...???
>
> And I did it....I think amidst the replies I got the impression that yo=
> werent able to direct the home directory to the correct one when the
> machine was not the nis server machine.
>
> Well cleared up now...
>
> Sorry about that...:^)
>
> So is your problem solved??? Or would you like to state it again in a c=
lean
> way (your problem (undeleted) minus all the replies that have been made=
 by
> now...:^)
>
> Regards,
> Neeraj

> Hi,
>
> I think you have made a series confusion!!! I don't want to use any fil=
> server, I just want to use a centralized system of login/password.
> Please, read all messages to understand all point.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Tuesday 29 April 2003 10:31, Neeraj Arora wrote:
> > Please refer to the email below (that I am replying to) before readin=
> > what I write...
> >
> > /var/yp/master.passwd is not to be a softlink or symbolic link to
> > /etc/master.passwd According the documentation (handbook I think),
> > /var/yp/master.passwd is a copy of /etc/master.passwd without the roo=
t,
> > system and one user who is also the member of group wheel.
> >
> > One can use amd (automount daemon) to have all users have their home
> > directories in /home, while the directories inside /home are themselv=
es
> > mounted when needed according to the amd map supplied by nis. On the
> > fileserver or the nfs server system, one could have different directo=
ries
> > for different machines depending on any one or a combination of the
> > os/hostname/ipaddress/network/etc. of the mounting machine.
> >
> > So if the fileserver had /allhomedirs and in that had ./linux, and
> > ./freebsd and in each of them ./tom ./dick and ./harry; a linux clien=
> > would end up providing /allhomedirs/linux/<user> at /home/<user> whil=
e a
> > freebsd client would do the same by providing /allhomedirs/freebsd/<u=
ser>
> > at /home/<user>.
> >
> > This will allow the entries in the /var/yp/master.passwd and
> > /var/yp/passwd to remain untouched when produced as nis maps for
> > different clients/hosts. Same can be done by mounting the appropriate
> > shell binary from a fileserver using amd maps while the path for the
> > shell can still remain only /path/shell or /usr/local/bin/bash; for l=
inux
> > clients the
> > /usr/local/whatever is mounted from /allusrlocaldirs/linux/whatever a=
nd
> > for freebsd it is mounted from /allusrlocaldirs/freebsd/whatever.

> [...]

--=20

=C2ngelo Rodrigues - amr@fccn.pt=20
FCCN - Funda=E7=E3o para a Computa=E7=E3o Cient=EDfica Nacional
Av. Brasil, 101  1700-066 Lisboa - Portugal
Tel: +351 218440100   Fax: +351 218472167