Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 1998 17:47:59 -0700
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   boot problem

Hi, I'm running 2.2-stable (ctm#670 - pre Mike's partition changes) and am
having a boot problem.

I'm getting the following message when the system tries to mountall, which
stops the system from getting to multiuser:
	/dev/sd1a on /: specified device does not match mounted device

I used to have the following disk setup using Booteasy to switch between
the OSs:
  Win95 (IDE, 0x80)  FreeBSD(SCSI id=1, 0x81)  FreeBSD(SCSI id=2) ...

I dropped Win95 and switched to NT 4.0 (SCSI) using the NT bootloader
(configured it using the 'bootpart' PD utility):
  NT 4.0 (SCSI id=0, 0x80)  FreeBSD(SCSI id=1, 0x81)  FreeBSD (SCSI id=2) ...

Removed the IDE disk.

I could boot FreeBSD fine (though I would get the message "Can't find file
kernel.config" which I don't recall seeing before). Everything was OK until
I rebuilt the kernel (I removed my noname sound card which wasn't working).

Once I rebuilt I started getting the above 'does not match mounted device'
error.

I could boot OK if I selected 'kernel.old' or flags '-r' (never quite
understood what this does).

The only thing to add is that I have the disks wired down in the kernel config
file:

# Base scsi support: 'scbus', 'sd' (disc), 'st' (tape), 'cd' (cdrom)
controller      scbus0 at ncr0
device          sd0
device          st0
device          cd0
disk            sd1     at scbus0 target 1 unit 0
disk            sd2     at scbus0 target 2 unit 0
disk            sd3     at scbus0 target 3 unit 0

If anyone knows the answer (or even better would spend a few minutes educating
me on the details of why I'm having this problem) I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tony