Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:45:24 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/stdlib strtod.c

Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> I don't see a reason to get it vendor imported for few reasons:
>
> 1. it's only one file (src/lib/libc/stdlib/strtod.c). Maybe we need
>    to think to take few more like strtof(), but I not sure in
>    full and generalized versions compatibility. Need testing. Most
>    of other stuff is not supposed to work on IEEE arifmetic machines
>    or not standard (not included to POSIX, SuS or C99). Correct me
>    if I wrong.

I think we should try to utilize as much of this code as possible.

> 2. we'll have to change it (at least for adding new definitions of
>    arches). Vendor's version is supposed to work on i8087, m86k,
>    vax, ibm and cray arches.

Perhaps the vendor would be willing to integrate support for FreeBSD.

> 3. And according of "much soon than us": All problems that Bruce
>    mentioned are not problems, just style improvements.

From Message-ID <20011203062435.C9600-100000@gamplex.bde.org>:
: Most of our local changes were in the vendor version 3-4 years before
: we made them, sigh.  Summary of some relevant parts of changes.gz from
: the above URL:
: - Jan 21 1993: apparently the long -> Long hack to support systems with
:                32 bit ints and 64 bit longs
: - Jul  6 1996: unsigned long -> ULong
: - Dec 17 1996: threads support

None of these issues appear to be style related; care to elaborate?

> And last I think difference in slow reaction on addition of new
> features/imporovement to Netlib (merging them to FreeBSD) is more
> result of lack of interest to such complicated (and already working!)
> code. So, let me some time and then you'll see "request for review", please
> give comments.

Right, that's why I'm suggesting a vendor maintained source, because
no one has enough interest to maintain it in FreeBSD.

> Even (1) is enough to understand that vendor import is just overhead
> because file will be taken out of vendor branch as soon as powerpc and sparc64
> arches comes to "make world" as it already has been done for alpha and ia64.

I would hardly be suggesting a vendor import if I thought we wouldn't
be able to leave it on the vendor branch.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft