Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:25:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The halloween document again.

On Monday,  2 November 1998 at  4:00:18 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> There's another explanation here, and one which I now find most
> plausible now that I think about it.  There really was a group at
> Microsoft who was tasked with coming up with such a paper, but rather
> than put in any serious time with it they procrastinated until the
> last moment and then realized that they needed to generate a position
> paper on OSS in a real hurry.  Since they were then rather too pressed
> for time to actually install or evaluate any of the offerings
> (probably also rightly concluding that the suits reading the report
> wouldn't particularly care about such details anyway), they just
> prowled around 4 or 5 of the top Linux sites and Eric Raymond's
> www.opensource.com and put together a pastiche' of all the advocacy
> they saw there.  They probably read a few Linux newsgroups as well,
> those being the obvious targets with their multi-thousand message
> counters, and culled some of the "OSS arguments" they saw there.
>
> Tada!  Result: One paper full of regurgitated Linux advocacy done with
> all the subtlety of a elementary school student copying a book report
> out of the encyclopedia at midnight.  It's just a theory, but it seems
> to fit.

I think you're almost right.  The only difference I have is that you
apparently think they could have done better if they had had more
time.  I don't.  Recall that they're on the outside looking in, and
they have a number of cultural problems understanding what's going on
here (heck, we have trouble understanding where it's all going.  It
must blow Microsoft people's minds).

My question is: where did esr get the document from?  Is it legal?

Greg