Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:21:43 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to improve mutex collision performance

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:14:54PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
> >     I'm not interested in using P4.  I think it's a mistake.  That is, I
> >     think it is being severely overused.  [...]
>
> Frankly, although I use Perforce myself for PAM work, I agree with
> Matt here.  Most of what is going on in the Perforce should be
> happening on branches in our main repo, if only CVS didn't suck so bad
> at branching.
>
> I would like to suggest that we consider transitioning our main repo
> to Subversion.  It's reasonably similar to cvs, and has all the
> features we need that cvs lack: metadata versioning, atomic commits,
> cheap branching...

As a Subversion developer and a FreeBSD user, I'd love to see this
happen some day.  Subversion is designed for precisely this sort of
thing, a version control system for a project that likes many things
about CVS, but doesn't wish to deal with its many drawbacks.
Unfortunately, at the moment, Suversion is far from mature enough for
such a transition.  Some day, perhaps even some day soon, but not
quite yet.

What I would suggest though, is that FreeBSD developers who are
interested in the possibility of such a transition int he future
should subscribe to the Subversion development list (see
http://subversion.tigris.org/ for instructions on how to subscribe)
and try to make sure that the features we're currently building into
subversion will meet FreeBSD's needs in the future.

There have already been some NetBSD and Apple developers on the lists,
along with a few FreeBSD people giving us valuable feedback, and any
additional FreeBSD people would be very welcome.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would