Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 01:49:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        sreid@sea-to-sky.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Success: Quake 3 DemoTest under FreeBSD with Matrox G200

Hello!

> I have Q3 running with hardware acceleration on my Matrox G200 video
> card, using the GLX code currently in CVS. I haven't tried the files at
> http://www.freebsd.org/~3d/distfiles/glx/ but the code currently in CVS
> is newer and should be quite a bit faster for the G200.

Last time I checked, the code started to improve for G200/400 but
got slower for RIVA (some optimizations to Mesa 3.0 got lost in the
upgrade to Mesa 3.1). That was one reason why I did not upgrade
to latest glx sources, as I have just RIVA based cards to test.

> With all that taken care of GLX should compile and run without
> modifications

OK, I will have a look at the latest version. Sounds like the
CVS version improved. Possibly I have to separate things for Matrox
and nvidia users.

> For best performance compile a kernel with "options MAXMEM=..." to
> reserve some memory, then set the mga_dma* options in glx.conf. Be
> careful; if MAXMEM and mga_dmaadr don't jive you'll crash and burn

Ah, yes I remember. The Linux folks do use some setting with their
LILO bootmanager to reserve memory for the Matrox driver.

From the description in LINT I was not sure that MAXMEM overrides
the values from the memory probe routines, in case they notice
memory above 64 MB. Did you test it?

> Q3 is a Linux binary so it requires Linux libraries. I had Q3 running
> with old GLX and linux libs I pulled from a .deb package, but the newer
> GLX code would crash when I ran Q3.

In your running q3, is the glx module used a Linux or a native FreeBSD
binary? Same question for the X Server - Linux or native?

> The key was to update the Linux libs. Linux user Ralph Giles sent me
> the libs from his system.

Are these any different from the libraries which are installed by
ports/emulators/linux_base?

> Q3 Settings:
> Graphics options: custom / default / on / 640x480 / default / on /
> vertex / high / medium-low / default / bilinear
> Game options: Marks on walls, Ejecting brass, Itentify target, High
> quality sky, Sync every frame.

I downloaded the 50megs of q3td, hope to post my results soon!

Regards,
Marc