Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 17:45:04 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Whee, another fun one

This one is *really* neat.

I was trying to add emacs, for various reasons.  But pkg_add wouldn't let
me, because my /tmp was too small, even after I added MFS to my kernel and a
30MByte memfs off of /dev/sd0s1b (same as swap).  So, I tried using the -t
option; it still didn't work.  So then I started debugging it.

Since I wasn't working on the console, I have no idea what happened, but my
login session suddenly hung.  I thought it was just the normal delay I'd
been seeing (and reported last night), but, after a few minutes, I decided
that was pretty unlikely, and took a look at the console.

It had rebooted (a panic, I assume), and was waiting for me to insert a
bootable floppy -- for some reason, the MBR has disappeared, and the hard
disk is no longer a "bootable disk"!

So... this is bad.  Also, how do I fix it, without reinstalling the whole OS
again? ;)

Sean.