Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:54:16 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unable to install fontconfig-2.1_2

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: 05 Feb 2003 16:29:03 -0500
>

> --=-8KMB08lkWMu+BYrdeeXg
>
> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 16:21, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I am unable to install fontconfig on a 4.7 system. It builds and
> > starts to install fine, but, when it gets to the "Generating temporary
> > packing list" point, it goes into a loop that eats all available CPU in
> > fc-cache.The system was built in early November. I installed this on
> > an identical system and it works fine.
> >=20
> > Any idea what might be happening? I'm baffled!
>
> Bad fonts, maybe?  Do you have a recursive symlink in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts?  Can you get a backtrace from the fc-cache
> process?

As usual, you were in the ballpark. No symlinks, but I re-built my
fonts and, like magic, fontconfig installed fine. I wish I had tried
this one font kit at a time so I might be able to figure out a bit
more about the problem, but at least I'm off and running again.

Thanks!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)