Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:45:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   `for` construct in Makefiles

Hello,

I am currently in the process of putting together the port for ACE
4.6.

I already set up the PLIST file with all the names of the files to be installed
(which is only a subset of work/ACE_wrappers).

To install all the files, I ended up trying the following:

------- snip -------
INSTALLFILES!=	cat pkg/PLIST

do-install:
	@${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/ACE_wrappers
	for i in ${INSTALLFILES}
	do
		cp work/${i} ${PREFIX}/ACE_wrappers/${i}
	done
------- snap -------

This does not work. The error message is:

------- snip -------
===>  Installing for ACE-4.6 for i in ACE_wrappers/ASNMP/tests/log/CVS/Root ACE_wrappers/ASNMP/tests/log/CVS/Repository ACE_wrappers/ASNMP/tests/log/CVS/Entries ... ACE_wrappers/WindozeCE/WindozeCE.rc ACE_wrappers/WindozeCE/WindozeCEDlg.cpp ACE_wrappers/WindozeCE/WindozeCEDlg.h ACE_wrappers/WindozeCE/resource.h
for: not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Can one not use the shell's `for` in a Makefile or what is the point,
I am missing here?

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

	Roland

P.S. I just subscribed to the list so no CC: is necessary.