Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:45:08 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI problems with Compaq Evo N610c

Doug Barton wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > I attached a verbose dmesg, just in case someone wants to take a look.
> >
> > | ACPI: DSDT was overridden.
> > |         -0424: *** Error: UtAllocate: Could not allocate size 50204453
> > |     ACPI-0428: *** Error: Could not allocate table memory for [/*
> > | R] length 50204453
> > |     ACPI-0368: *** Error: Could not copy override ACPI table, AE_NO_MEMORY
> >
> > I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that perhaps the
> > problem is that the damn thing appears to be 50 Megabytes...
>
> Well, you could have verified that easily enough for yourself by
> downloading the file at that URL above. :)

And getting 50M, if your dmesg was right... 8-) 8-).

> It turns out that it's only 142k, which is another reason I think
> that something very odd is happening.

My guesses, in order, would be (1) an unitialized variable,
or (2) it loads sparsely, or (3) it has a really bogus table
entry that claims it needs that much memory.  It doesn't look
magic enough to be a sign extension/signed-unsigned pun error.

Other than starting at the code that's supposed to load the
table in, and printf'ing until you find out why it's thinks
50M is a nuce number, I don't know what to tell you...

-- Terry