Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:31:27 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Ian Edwards <ian@concerto.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Logitech MouseMan behaviour changed in 2.2.6-stable

>I have just upgraded from 2.2.2-RELEASE to 2.2.6-STABLE and the behaviour
>of the 4th button (at the side, for the thumb) of my Logitech MouseMan
>mouse has changed when running X windows (I have not touched X).
>
>Under 2.2.2 the 4th button had the same effect as the middle mouse button
>but now just pressing the button generates two X events : button 1 press
>and button 1 release.
>
>How can I restore the previous behaviour ?

If you are running `moused', use the -m option to make the side button
(button 4) recognized as the middle button (button 3).  The middle
button will still be recognized as it is, and you will have two middle
buttons.  See the man page for `moused'.

If you are not running `moused' and let the X server directly access
the mouse and you are running XFree86 3.3.2, specify

	Buttons 4

in your XF86Config and use `xmodmap' to map the fourth button to the
third (middle) button:

	xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 3"

Hope this will help.

Kazu