Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:17:15 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Andrew <andrew@soc.lg.gov.ua>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disable boot -s

On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:18:13 GMT, Andrew wrote:

> I have FreeBSD mail server in my organisation.  It located in room
> with no lock, with free access to the PC's monitor for all. This is my
> workbench.
>
> I'm afraid that anyone, who knows about boot -s, may reboot the
> machine and makes me cry.

Okay, I take back my previous advice.  Although what I told you about
flagging the console as insecure was sound advice in some circumstances,
it's just going to lead you into a false sense of security in this case.

Anyone who knows about boot -s probably also knows how to create boot
floppies.  Getting into your PC won't be very difficult.

Removing the floppy drive from your box may help, provided that you have
some way of ensuring that nobody opens the box up with a screwdriver or
saw.

Ciao,
Sheldon.