Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:11:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@BabCom.ORG>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ipfw rule wrong in rc.firewall(?)

Hello,

	I don't know if this is what I think it is, but it sure took me
back a little bit. Please note that I may be totally wrong, but here is
what I expierenced on *MY* two FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE machines:

IPFW rules for DNS udp like this:

ipfw -q add allow udp from any 53 to 209.104.122.0/24
..... much later on .....
ipfw -q add deny udp from any to 209.104.122.0/24

now this udp allow for dns comes straight from /usr/src/etc/rc.firewall.
<--- quote
    # Allow DNS queries out in the world
    $fwcmd add pass udp from any 53 to ${ip}
    $fwcmd add pass udp from ${ip} to any 53
end quote --->

This, totally broke anyone else being able to lookup domains served by my
namservers, a thought meant doing this;

ipfw -q add allow udp from any to 209.104.122.0/24 53

Which worked perfectly fine. I have not taken the time to dig into the
problem, I haven't slept, and am quite too tired to do this tonight. I
am reporting what I saw on my machine with the example not working. This
is probably just a matter of updating the example rc.firewall? I'll leave
it to the big boys to decide. Thanks.

	Matt
--
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians
 would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees