Date:      Fri, 27 May 2016 10:13:30 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bhyve graphics support

Hi Roman,

> I've just tried to do a Fedora installation and it worked like a charm.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
>  * There was a limitation that AHCI devices must use slots 3-6. [1]
>    Is it still there? If yes, any plans to get rid of it?

  It's not a limitation for guests that can use MSI for AHCI. Older
versions of Windows use legacy interrupts, but I noticed that 2k16 (and
maybe recent builds of 10) are using now using MSI.

  The real fix is to have more flexible ACPI DSDT generation from inside
of UEFI, but that's a non-trivial project.

>  * It *seems* that now it's OK to cycle a VM this way:
>
>    host# bhyve ...
>    guest# reboot # guest goes away
>    host# bhyve ... # run it again
>
>    Previously (with bhyveload) it didn't work (for me at least) without
>    doing "bhyvectl --destroy". Is it safe now not to call "bhyvectl
>    --destroy" before the second run now?

  Yes, except for the case when you modify the amount of memory given to
the guest - then you will need to delete prior to the run with the new
config.

later,

Peter.