Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:56:22 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Niklas Saers <beren@pe049.persbraten.vgs.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wine

Niklas Saers wrote:

> Hi. I read  from the announcementlist recently that Wine had come with a
> new build. So I go looking in the packages-directory: Nada. Of course, it
> was in the ports-directory. So my first question is: How long does it take
> before a port is made into a package?

It depends. Some ports even never become packages (mostly for
licensing/export restrictions reasons). If you have a specific need,
contact the port maintaner. It's very easy to build ports, though, so it
really shouldn't be much of a problem.

> Then... while compiling programs to run under X11, I always get errors of
> include-files and such which are not found. What files do I have to install
> where to be able to compile these applications. (goes for Wine as well)

It's the "header files" option in the X installation menu in sysinstall
(don't remember the name of the .tgz file). Run (as root)
/stand/sysinstall, choose Config., Distributions, and then look into the
X distribution. You'll find it there.

> Thanks for your time
>
>                                 Niklas J. Saers
Nadav