Date:      Tue, 25 May 2004 10:41:25 -0400
From:      Jason DiCioccio <jd@ods.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question regarding reported directory sizes.

I know this question may seem silly..  However, here's my scenario.

I have a very large directory (say, a mail spool) whose directory entry is
approx 606K..
drwx------  5 cyrus  cyrus  606208 May 25 10:29 .
Now.. That directory had a lot of files in it.  However, after deleting all
of the files in that directory, the directory entry's size stays the same.
I realize this is fairly unimportant, however is there a way to 'garbage
collect' that directory entry and all others like it?

Thanks!
Jason DiCioccio