Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 09:19:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        bruce@aiiad.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bridging

> Bruce Goldberg stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for a software bridge for netbeui and I don't know where to
> > turn; can you help?
> >
> > Do you know if bsd, or any unix for that matter, can bridge, or where I
> > can go for help?
> >
> > I may have to filter out pakets based on protocol, heavy decodes, or
> > plain pattern matching.
> >
> > I'm interested in currently working, already ported packages.
>
> Go buy a decent router/bridge.  People like 3com and Cisco make them, and
> they're designed from the ground up to do what you want.

on the indecent side, I have developed a ROMable version of PCBridge.
The latest one compiles under FreeBSD using much of the netboot code,
and is available from my home page as

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/bdg300.tgz

It runs on a 386+, needs as little as 1MB RAM (can be easily modified
to run in 256K, but what's the point?) and supports up to 5 boards
(WD/NE clones; uses the ed driver).

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/