Date:      Wed, 6 May 2020 11:56:24 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSD woes - boot

Since yesterday, when I ran smartcontrol against my drives - don=E2=80=99t=
 know whether it has to do with that but I=E2=80=99m mentioning it just =
FWIW -
my Kingston 240 GB SSD suddenly was no longer visible in the ASRock =
MB=E2=80=992 BIOS. (ASRock939A790GMH).

Strange, isn=E2=80=99t it, that a power fail or unclean =
shutdown/dismount can cause the drive being no longer visible to the =
BIOS.

To test whether it was still alive,  I took it out of the system, put it =
into an ICY box and connected it to a FreeBSD (11) VM I have running =
under Parallels on my MacbookPro.

It got recognized on the USB bus and after I ran an fsck against it and =
put it back into the BIOS, it was recognized again.

So far so good. But now, due to some misordering in the hard disk =
numbering scheme in the BIOS I can=E2=80=99t aim at the right partition =
to boot.=20
With the old F1/F5 bootload of FreeBSD it always boots the wrong =
partition .=20

Is there a better bootloader available which offers me a larger choice, =
that eventually finds all bootable partitions on all disks in the =
system?

=E2=80=94
Christoph