Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 2010 00:35:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd2009@kiwi-computer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is NFSv4 so slow?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Rick C. Petty wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:04:28PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
>>
>> Weird, I don't see that here. The only thing I can think of is that the
>> experimental client/server will try to do I/O at the size of MAXBSIZE
>> by default, which might be causing a burst of traffic your net interface
>> can't keep up with. (This can be turned down to 32K via the
>> rsize=32768,wsize=32768 mount options. I found this necessary to avoid
>> abissmal performance on some Macs for the Mac OS X port.)
>
> I just ran into the speed problem again after remounting.  This time
> I tried to do a "make buildworld" and make got stuck on [newnfsreq] for
> ten minutes, with no other filesystem activity on either client or server.

Being stuck in "newnfsreq" means that it is trying to establish a TCP
connection with the server (again smells like some networking issue).

> The file system corruption is still pretty bad.  I can no longer build any
> ports on one machine, because after the port is extracted, the config.sub
> files are being filled with all zeros.  It took me awhile to track this
> down while trying to build devel/libtool22:

Assuming your mounts are not using "soft,intr", I can't explain the
corruption. Disabling delegations is the next step. (They aren't
required for correct behaviour and are disabled by default because
they are the "greenest" part of the implementation.)

rick