Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2011 00:01:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Boyd <David.Boyd@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current status of digi driver

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, David Boyd wrote:
> While attempting to upgrade our comm servers from 7.4-RELEASE to
> 8.2-RELEASE, I discovered that the digi driver didn't make the grade.
>
> I searched the archives and found discussions in August 2008 concerning
> drivers that were disconnected for lack of MPSAFEness.  The threads
> continued right up to the point where it was agreed that the drivers
> shouldn't be allowed to halt/delay the MPSAFE switch in 8.0-RELEASE.
>
> It appears that there was also agreement that (at least) some of the
> drivers, digi included, would be converted soon after 8.0-RELEASE.
>
> The pre-MPSAFE code appears to be included in the most recent -STABLE
> and -CURRENT, but doesn't get built.  The HARDWARE.TXT still includes digi
> among supported multiport serial device drivers.
>
> Is there any plan to bring digi forward?
[snip]
> I have time and hardware to test with and can help as needed.

Patches have been submitted in the last week to update the digi(4) driver
to work with the new TTY layer.  If you are able to spend some time
testing them on 9-CURRENT, there is a possibility that there may still be
time to get them into the tree before 9.0-RELEASE.

The patches can be found in kern/158086.

Thanks,

Gavin