Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:27:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting

Max Khon wrote:

    > > ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
    > > ata0: resetting devices .. done
    > > ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
    > > ata0: resetting devices .. done

Mads Hugo Pedersen replied:

    > I had a similar problem with an old chipset which did not
    > support dma, so the controller (ata0) made a fallback to
    > pio.  I edited /etc/sysctl.conf and added this line:
    > hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio

I had the same problem with an old motherboard which claimed to support
DMA (but didn't).  Setting PIO in /etc/sysctl.conf wasn't good enough,
because the timeouts started happening while mounting file systems,
which happens before /etc/sysctl.conf is processed.

I ended up adding a "sysctl" command to /etc/rc.conf in order to get it
done soon enough.  I had to use the program's full path (/sbin/sysctl),
and I should probably also add ">/dev/null 2>&1" to the command so the
output will be discarded.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/