Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:36:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        petrilli@amber.org (Christopher Petrilli)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN for FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.2

In some mail from Christopher Petrilli, sie said:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 01:11:23PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > In some mail from Nicholas Brawn, sie said:
> > >
> > > Have a look at www.kame.net, and see if it fits your requirements. KAME is
> > > a freely available IPv6 & IPSec stack for BSD (developed in Japan).
> >
> > You mean it's not yet integrated into FreeBSD ?!
>
> No, and never will be so long as ITAR stands, and the FreeBSD group is
> based in the UNited States.  This is why OpenBSD has to jump through so
> many hoops to stay legal.

Bah, so FreeBSD will be InSecureBSD ?  Well, so long as the ITAR bear
stands around making grizzly noises at people, it seems.

> Unfortunately, the KAME integation isn't for the faint of heart.
> Chris

FreeBSD appears to be doing better than the other two groups in terms
of resources...there are ways around it although I'm disappointed to
see that FreeBSD isn't interested.